TEXTS: Psalm 64; Matt. 22; Deut. 6, 28
1. The powers of darkness seek to deposit within our souls what would negatively affect our lives. The “arrows” they shoot have the potential to oppress and distract us from what the Lord has planned for our lives.
2. The Lord uses the enemy to correct His people and to lead them towards repentance.
3. God’s children should not be controlled by news outlets, media, and entertainment. Believers should instead be guided and influenced by the Word of God. But if one behaves as if the Word of God is unimportant, they will be drawn into being overly influenced by the wrong things.
4. We cannot be passive about our commitment to Christ. It opens our lives up to be controlled by the god of this world instead of the God of all creation. Passiveness concerning the things of God will also make it extremely difficult to pass our faith on to the coming generations.
5. If you don’t allow God’s statutes and laws to guide your life then you will most likely end up with life-controlling issues that you should instead be in control of.
6. Humans are deep and complex creations. What arrows has the enemy deposited into our souls? Where do our wounds and complexes come from? What is really controlling our lives? The Spirit of God knows the answer to those questions and can remove the arrows, restore control, and use what the enemy meant for our harm to ultimately benefit us!
TALK TO EACH OTHER:
1. How can one discern if they are being overly influenced by the wrong things?
2. What does it mean to be passive in our commitment to Christ? How would you describe it and what do you think it looks like?
3. The enemy shoots harmful arrows into the souls of humanity. How should this reality impact our lives and how should it cause us to view/treat other people?
TALK TO GOD:
Pray as you feel led concerning the following areas:
- Freedom from life-controlling issues and what oppresses us
- That we are not passive in our commitment to Christ