TEXTS: 1 Cor. 10-11; Acts 2:17-18; 1 Tim. 2:8-15
1. Followers of Christ should soberly consider the seriousness of the Bible’s warning against grumbling and complaining. It is detailed as an extremely destructive and sinful action throughout the Word of God.
2. Christians should regularly examine how they can “do all things to the glory of God.” When we live in a God-glorifying manner, the eyes of the unbelievers around us are more likely to be opened to the salvation that the Lord offers them.
3. If believers are not careful, we can speak about current cultural issues in a way that offends the minds and hearts of unbelievers. As a result, this prevents them from considering the truths of the gospel. We are called to be an avenue by which people get saved--not a roadblock.
4. When the Church of Jesus of Christ is gathered in a local expression of worship, we must understand that the presence of God is with us. In other words, heaven is there! We should be careful that we are glorifying God with our natural giftings, the gifts of the Spirit, and with our natural gender roles. The roles of males and females are to function in worship so as to not offend heaven or earth.
5. Females are given instructions about how to rightly prophesy. Prophecy is not something that takes place in private, so this is referring to the public gathering of God’s people. The Word of God is letting us know that both gender roles play a part in glorifying God publicly and that both roles are equal in importance and value.
6. There was an ancient cultural practice referred to in the NT that details how people would gather with their guilds (other people with the same vocation), and offer their allegiance and worship to the state. They were essentially saying that the powers of the state were responsible for their prosperity and was the reason why they were being provided for in their daily lives. As believers, our highest allegiance and worship should be given to God alone.
TALK TO EACH OTHER:
1. Why do you think the Lord makes grumbling and complaining such an important and serious issue?
2. What does it practically mean to do something to the glory of God? How should we apply this to our daily and routine lives?
3. How should the two gender roles glorify God in a public worship service? What are the distinctives of each role that are to be used to bring the Lord glory?
4. In what ways can the gender roles be used to offend heaven or earth (in a public worship service)?
TALK TO GOD:
Pray as you feel led concerning the following area(s):
- Wisdom and understanding concerning how to do all things to the glory of God
- Zac and Danica Moebius; missionaries to Azerbaijan