"Holy and Unholy Molecules"
TEXTS: 1 Pet. 4:7; Gal. 5:22; 1 Cor. 10:23; Jer. 13:12
1. The created world is filled with various molecules that have different effects on the physical life of humans. It's not really about deciding which molecules are holy or unholy, but rather it comes down to how we view and use those molecules. Some of the molecules are hard to manage and God can use them to help us learn self-control and to show us the dangers of over-consumption.
2. It is common for believers to find some things in our material world that they struggle to approach with self-control, moderation, and wisdom. We are called to "put to death" those actions and attitudes that cause such a lack of self-control. We do this through prayer and fasting, repentance, and humility.
3. Throughout the O.T. we find God sending His people into captivity and judgment because they have wandered from truth and the proper worship of their God. And the Lord is not currently (or ever) taking a break from this refining work in the lives of His people. He still disciplines His children today. The Lord does such a thing in order to correct our course of life and to draw us back into right relationship with Him.
4. Modern evangelicalism often finds itself operating from a place of extremes. Meaning, rather than fall into a moderate position we swing to the place of extremes. We see this clearly in our culture when we observe those who are committed to extreme legalism or vice versa, extreme prosperity and license.
5. The Bible warns against us trusting in lies. Once someone receives, accepts, and begins to live out unbiblical doctrine, it is extremely difficult to let go of that and move towards accepting healthy, biblical doctrine.
6. We close the door on the enemy when we draw close to the Lord.
TALK TO EACH OTHER:
1. What types of questions should we be asking ourselves concerning how we view and interact with the physical world (and all of its' molecules)?
2. God sent His O.T. people into captivity to discipline them and correct their life course. How does He do this today?
3. Can you think of other examples concerning how modern evangelicals often swing to the place of extremes?
4. What does it mean and look like to "draw close to the Lord?"
TALK TO GOD:
Pray as you feel led concerning the following areas:
- Consider if you are walking hand-in-hand with the Father
- Wisdom concerning how to view and interact with the material world