"Then Comes Safety (Pt. 2)"
TEXTS: Hebrews 12:1-20
1. The devil wants to render each child of God mute. He wants our lives to be full of fear and devoid of prayer. When the enemy is able to keep us from prayer and gospel proclamation, we will not be able to overcome what the world, the flesh, and the powers of darkness throw at us.
2. What feeds the soul of a believer? When the eternal Word of God gets deposited into our souls (which leads us towards prayer and action concerning that word).
3. God calls His children to be bold and unashamed despite facing uncertainty and the ‘shaking’ that takes place in the world. Believers should strive to be united in prayer when facing such times.
4. The discipline of the Lord is often experienced as we walk through the tough seasons of life. The Lord uses difficult life circumstances to mature us and to draw our hearts to His.
5. If we allow a root of bitterness to be embedded in our hearts and lives we will struggle to be joyful and will miss the blessings of God. We must be cautious about allowing bitterness into our hearts. When the world around us is shaking, we will have to decide if we are going to get angry or trust the Lord.
6. Esau was indifferent concerning his birthright and gave it up for a bowl of soup. He didn’t value what God had given him. We can make the same tragic mistake if we aren’t committed to what the Lord wants to do in and through us.
7. The ugliness and brutality that surrounds the cross of Christ is designed to communicate how ugly and devastating sin is.
TALK TO EACH OTHER:
1. What tactics do you think the enemy uses to keep believers silent? To keep us from prayer and gospel proclamation?
2. What will show up in the life of a person if they have allowed a root of bitterness to grow in their hearts?
3. How can a believer discern what the Lord has put in them to accomplish (their birthright)?
4. Do you have a testimony concerning how the Lord has used difficult circumstances to discipline and mature you?
TALK TO GOD:
Pray as you feel led concerning the following area(s):
- About your birthright (what God has made you for)
- For your children and grandchildren (especially the wayward ones)
- That God shakes His Church