"Biblical Wisdom Requires Restraint"
TEXTS: 2 Cor. 11; Jer. 13:25; Gen. 9:20-25; 1 Tim. 3; 2 Sam. 11; Lev. 10:8-11
1. The Bible “ties” some things together so that we can make the necessary connections concerning some areas of human life. The Bible is also revealing particular truths about a subject by “tying” it to something that is easily and widely understood. Some examples: (1) the Bible ties together drunkenness and deception, (2) the Bible ties together drunkenness and sexual immorality, and (3) the Bible ties together purity and our personal devotion to Christ.
2. Believers should be careful to exercise restraint and wisdom in areas of life where they have liberty. Being excessive in areas where you may have freedom will lead to bondage.
3. The Bible takes time, effort, and work to understand. While the foundational truths of the Christian faith could seemingly be considered very easy to grasp, the entirety of Scripture is not so easy to understand. The Lord seems to have done this purposefully (so that we spiritually grow and take the necessary actions that lead to an intimate relationship with Him).
4. It is possible to escape some of the consequences for certain sins and transgressions. But 1 Corinthians 6 reveals that no one escapes the consequences of sexual immorality.
5. The children of God should strive to understand and live out the differences between: (1) the holy and the common, (2) the earthly and the heavenly, and (3) the temporary and the eternal.
TALK TO EACH OTHER:
1. Why do you think the Bible "ties together" the areas of life mentioned in Truth 1?
2. How does "wrestling" with the Bible help us spiritually grow? That seems to be "backwards" from what would help us grow in our relationship with our Savior.
3. What are the differences between the things mentioned in Truth 5? Can you give examples of what kind of things fall into which category?
TALK TO GOD:
Pray as you feel led concerning the following areas:
- To exercise wisdom and sensitivity to the Spirit regarding personal areas of liberty
- Freedom from bondage