Sermon recap from Sunday June 20, 2021
TEXTS: Malachi 4:6, Proverbs 31:11-12, Ephesians 6:1-4, Titus 2
1. As the culture of America continues to see the winds of change that are leading the country deeper into division and destruction, we must remember the importance of strong and unified families of faith.
2. God warns His covenant people in Malachi of the destruction that will come upon a nation that is lacking in the proper role of fatherhood and the family.
3. Men tend to be dull spiritually and women are much more sensitive generally speaking. It takes team unity, not perfection, in a marriage. It’s the dual role of a man and a woman to raise Godly offspring in the fear and admonition of the Lord.
4. The role of a father is to bring peace and not anger in both marriage and in raising children as seen in Ephesians 6:4…
“Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.”
5. The loving relationship that a husband and wife should strive for is seen in Proverbs 31:11-12…
“The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain. She does him good, and not harm, all the days of her life.”
6. This is all a picture of how God wants to run His family, the Church. God wants His covenant family to keep peace and serve well in raising up Godly believers that advance His Kingdom through the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
7. Generation to generation must be raised up to look to God and to His Word. The Church should be a body of broken people and lives who are being restored by Jesus continually, and who are maturing to look more and more like a family in unity.
TALK TO EACH OTHER:
1. What are some ways that the church can continue to mature into being more like a family? What are some ways the church must lead future generations to look to God and His Word?
2. Can you share an example or personal testimony of a time that your church family impacted your life and led you to look to God and His Word?
3. Why is peace so important for bringing unity? How should this shape the way in which we serve the Lord?
4. What are some examples of where we must seek peace in marriage and families? What are some examples of seeking peace in the church?
5. What are some areas in our culture today where the church must be peacemakers?
TALK TO GOD:
Pray as you feel led concerning the following area(s):
-For marriages and families within the church to grow in unity and in raising up Godly offspring to advance His Kingdom.
-For the church in America to not be divided but to seek peace and be unified by the Gospel of Jesus Christ.